Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Late Summer Riding






Lime Kiln Rd., looking West.


Yes, I know it's almost Winter, and this is very late in getting started, but.... I'm a late bloomer! That's my story and and I'm stickin' to it!

I've been doing a lot of riding in NW CT and SW MA lately. I enjoy the narrow Euro-like roads, lack of traffic and very cool attitude towards cyclist when I do encounter folks in cars. Nary an annoyed honk 'o the horn to be found.

Despite all the leaves still being on the trees, the sun was low enough in late afternoon to create that strobe effect that temporarily blinds you as you ride down the road. (Guess it'a good idea then to be on lightly traveled roads when that happens!).


Just outside of GB I came across this pilot doing what must have been "touch-and-goes" (?), at the local airport. the funny thing was that at the same a group (flock?) of geese flew by, just over the plane, yelling whatever they yell at each other while they're flying. Oddly enough there were headed to the Northeast. This might be because they are the geese that were introduced to restock the population some years back. As I understand it, those geese hang-out here during winter and don't go to their Florida condo's.

But it was cool to see the most primitive form of flight and a much more modern version happening at the exact same moment, right before me very own eyes.

The corn was ready for harvesting, and when I stopped for a shot of the day's "weapon-of-choice" (whatever I was riding that day), I noticed the first real signs of things to come-a warm sun, and a cooler than usual breeze. You know the kind. It's when Mother Nature has her mixing valve adjusted just right. It's when your face can feel just a tinge of burn and yet your back is chilly enough to induce a shiver. That kind of sign.
Rivendell Custom (+/- 68cm!!)


From there, I headed back to the South to where I had parked my vehicle. This is usually the part of the ride where I feel like a World Champion because I can motor along at around 23-25 m.p.h., sitting up a bit and tell myself that all the training (a relative term, BTW) is paying off. Truth be told, anybody/everybody who likes to go places by bicycle knows this speed-secret.

It's called a tailwind. And every time I get one it's impossible to have a bad day. I find that in life too. Whenever the winds at my back, that's a good day.

These are the days that must be lived. I'm lucky to live them.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you. Wheels Florida

    ReplyDelete